Friday 3 June 2011

Makeup Review: Hiding Blushing and general redness 2

So here are my verdicts on the products I have used so far:



 





No.7 Colour Calming Makeup Base 40ml (£10.75 in Boots)

6/10


Hmmm, this is the first thing I tried and I am unsure whether it worked because of the placebo effect or because it was actually any good, either way it did have some effect.
I noticed when I went to a friends house I was much less rosy than normal, and when speaking to people in a shop one day I noticed that even when I felt like I was blushing, I had no wierd looks or comments from people and didn't look quite as bad as I normally would. Also I have noticed that if you use a small amount and spread it evenly (so the green colour is less intense)  it works really well without foundation.
The only negatives are that although I notice myself being less red when I use this, it isn't the drastic reduction in redness I was looking for. Also it is pricey- £10.50, but on the plus side considering I use quite a lot in each application it has lasted me over 2 months already and I still over a 1/4 left!
It is actually a really good primer for foundation, and makes skin feel soft so if you want a good makeup base anyway then this is a great option.





 


Solait light to dark tan Foam (£4.50 Superdrug) (make sure you pick up the right shade for your skin shade/tone- it is available in medium to dark)
8/10

It turns into water on your hand after a few seconds.. so be careful!
I never used really use fake tan before but have been using this for about a month now on my face and body and i have to say it is brilliant! It is very natural looking, (more a light brown than orange) but dark enough to conceal redness.
I use it on my face underneath foundation and it isn’t heavy, dries quickly and is still visible with foundation on top.
If you are going to use it this way I would definitely use less foundation than normal and maybe use a darker foundation so it blends in better. Also think about getting a special ‘tan foundation’ lol with yellow undertones (if you don’t already have yellow undertones to your skin and foundation) that you can use when you are using fake tan. If you use foundation with pink undertones it will be a different tone to the tan and although this isn’t too obvious it could completely contradict what you are trying to do: block out red with yellow.
One warning with this product: when you apply the product it leaves a guide colour, which you should leave for at least 4 hours before washing it off to reveal your tan (a little lighter than the guide colour). I go out with it on without washing it off, however as the guide colour comes off with water, you DO NOT want to get caught in the rain or get water on it before you have washed off the guide colour!! You will look like streaky bacon, and that is not a good look!
If you use a product like this and decide to leave your guide colour on and manage to avoid rain, beware- eating, drinking or even crying washes it off make sure you have the bottle on you so you can touch it up when needed.
(Also for a smoother and more even application try using a tanning mit.)




Benefit Bluff Dust £17.50 Benefit

4/10

This is from one a hugely hyped up shop that, in my opinion, doesn’t quite live up to its reputation of being a leading makeup brand. It may have pretty packaging and cute counters, pretty staff and a fun image but the makeup just isn’t that good. All of the products I have used from there are extremely expensive and Bluff Dust is no exception.
I find that this yellow powder is good for preventing shine and keeping makeup on, but for redness, it doesn’t make that much difference.
I think this is due to it being quite light and not yellow enough, which is great for a normal powder, but for preventing redness it is not effective.
Sorry Benefit.

Ok, that is all for now, but I will be updating this list with a powder/mineral foundation, a green powder, and a foundation with yellow undertones, which I will be switching to.

I hope this is helpful. Oh and just to clarify other brands are available!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...